How do you revoke a power of attorney

How do I revoke power of attorney?

My parents have power of attorney over me - I have suffered from nervous breakdowns because of abuse and they got me to sign it when I was vulnerable. How can I resolve this?

You either draft a new POA or write: "I hereby revoke the Power of Attorney granted to _(your parents' names)__________on the ___day of _____." (year. ) Then sign it before a notary.

how do i revoke the power of attorney given to my attorney? New York Law!?

What do I need to write in the letter to revoke the power of attorney? Specifically following the New York law guidelines; is there a website which gives this information away for free?; Can some1 maybe explain in detail what needs to be in this letter? I appriciate all the serious answers i receive and all you other assmunchers who want to waste time with some nonsense answer, go play on a highway or some other area where chance of death is high. Thank You!

To revoke a power of attorney, all that is technically needed is to inform the person with the power that it is no longer valid. A phone call will do it.

However... what you also want to do is have proof of that notice. A short letter that says "I revoke the power of attorney granted to [name]", addressed to that person, dated, signed, and sent by Certified Mail.

In addition, you should also send copies of that letter to everyone that you think might have seen the power of attorney, so that they are on notice that it was revoked. It isn't necessary to effect the revocation, but it should keep him from closing your bank account if your bank is put on notice not to honor the POA.

Don't overcomplicate it. Just state clearly that it is revoked. You are under no obligation to justify a reason.

To revoke Power of attorney?

My father has been made power of attorney for my Grandmother. He is selfish and all he wants is her house and money. I don't have proof. All of my family is against him being power of attorney. She has a meeting with her physical therapist and nurses tomorrow I asked my father if my grandmother and I could be present. He replied saying he wants to be the only one there??? suspicious much!! So what do I do, I can't just sit back and let him do this to her. please someone give me some advice as far as I know she has not been labled incompetent but for some reason he is making all these decisions for her when she can make them for herself! I want to revoke power of attorney from him, but can I? how? what if my granny Is incompetent? is all hope loss? WHAT DO I DO?

First off, if your grandmother made him power of attorney, she's the only on that can revoke it. When she signed the power of attorney, usually there is an attorney and a notary present. There are questions the notary asks the person signing to verify they're doing it of their own free will and they understand what they're consenting to.

As for you and your grandmother being present, it's not necessary since your father has power of attorney. That's the point of it. You're signing off your rights and putting the POA in charge of your affairs, legal matters, etc.

Since you don't have any legal proof that your father is only after her house and money, it's only speculation. If anything, if you bring your suspicion to an attorney without any proof, you more or less look like you're just after her money and house.

However, if your grandmother wishes to revoke his rights and assign another person, she can. The following link will give you some steps on that:

how do i revoke power of attorney?

Revocation of Power of Attorney


The only legal requirement for you to be able to evoke power of attorney is that you be of sound mind when you do so. That means you are sane and able to make rational decisions. You do not even need to be capable of physically signing your name; you can make a "mark" that signifies you are revoking power of attorney, as long as you still have the capacity to make decisions.

While there are specific legal forms that you can fill out to revoke power of attorney, you can also just write a simple letter. You need to be certain to include all pertinent information if you chose to write a letter.

You have to date the letter and include your name. You need to state in the letter that you are "of sound mind" at the time of writing. You should specify the date when you assigned the power of attorney, and the name of the person or persons you named as your agent. State that you now wish to revoke the power of attorney. Finally, sign the letter with your signature or other mark.

In some states, the letter must be witnessed. If in doubt about the laws of your state, have several witnesses observe you signing the letter, and have them sign the document as witnesses.

You must inform your agent that he or she no longer has power of attorney and is no longer entitled to make decisions on your behalf. You should do this by sending a copy of the letter, described above. Do this as soon as possible after you make your decision. You also need to give copies of the letter to anyone who had record of your agent's acting on your behalf. This can include hospitals, banks, or other financial institutions. }{

Read more: How Do I Revoke Power of Attorney? |

How to revoke a power of attorney?

Can anyone please advise how should one (donor) revoked a power of attorney? 30 years ago before I went to study overseas, I was told by my sister, a lawyer, to sign a power of attorney, empowering my brother to handle my affairs in my absence. Upon my returned, I have asked for the return of the power of attorney. However, I was informed by her that it has been lost. I now feel insecure because I wasn't given a copy of the power of attorney and I do not remember clearly what I have signed. If I remember correctly, the power of attorney was phrased like a durable power of attorney. I wish to revoked that power of attorney. Can anyone please advise how should I do it.

A power of attorney can be revoked with a revocation of a power of attorney (separate document). This revocation should be acknowledged in the presence of a notary public. If the prior power of attorney had been recorded of record in the courthouse, the revocation should also be recorded. Copies of the revocation should be given to any financial institution which had received the power of attorney.

Most financial institutions will not honor an old power of attorney.

Banks typically will honor a new power of attorney, and if a power of attorney has some age on it, they may require proof of the continuance of a power of attorney. In Pennsylvania, this was added to the law by Act No. 39 of 1999, 20 Consolidated Pennsylvania Statutes, § 5606, Proof of Continuance of Powers of Attorney by Affidavit. For copy of Pennsylvania law, click here:

More Questions